Soup was the order of the day today after getting my wisdom teeth removed!
- 1 leek, halfed lengthways, and sliced thinly
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 litre of chicken (or vegetable) stock
- knob of butter
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 50 ml milk (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-lidded saucepan. When foaming, add in the leeks and onion and stir to cover in the butter. Turn the temperature down low, replace the lid, and allow to sweat gently for approx 10 mins
- When the leeks and onions have softened, add the parsnip and potatoes. Stir briefly to cover in the cooking liquid and add the stock, thyme and bay leaves
- Simmer for approx 20 mins until the potatoes are almost falling apart
- Remove the bay leaves and thyme stalks. Blend and season to taste. Add a little milk if the soup is a too thick after blending.
- Serve with fresh bread